Hazardous Waste is processed through the Chematix system. Filled hazardous waste containers may only be moved from the SAA to designated storage areas by trained ESD personnel. To have containers removed by ESD you must complete a hazardous waste pickup request in Chematix. In order to do this you must first create waste cards for EACH CONTAINER and affix them to the proper containers. The generator is responsible to insure the waste is properly labeled and closed before pick up. Step-by-step instructions are available below.
Create a Waste Card
- Login to https://chematix.uga.edu using your UGA MyID and password.
- Select the Waste tab
- Click the Create Waste Card link
- Choose the Waste Card type
- Enter all general information requested (pH is optional) at the top of the page
- Enter chemical constituents & percentages (if applicable) at the bottom of the page. Use the Select Chemical buttons to search for chemicals. The Barcode field should only be used if you selected the Pure Chemicals in Individual Containers option. Enter chemicals & percentages (please be as accurate as possible with percentages) until you reach 100% then click Calculate to verify. (Call 706-542-5801 for help with unknowns.)
- Click Generate Waste Card
- Print the Waste Card, sign it, and adhere it to the waste container using a plastic pouch. (Use a rubber band to attach the card to small containers.)
- Be sure to see the next section on Submitting a Pickup Request when you are ready for a pickup.
Request a Waste Pickup
- Login to Chematix (https://chematix.uga.edu) using your UGA MyID and password
- Select the Waste tab
- Click the Create Pickup Worksheet link
- Select the lab location—the available Waste Cards for that lab location will appear at the bottom of the page
- Checkbox (or Toggle for all) Waste Cards to be picked up and click Add Selections to Worksheet
- Be sure to add your alternate contact telephone number in the Instructions box
- Click Save & Submit for Pickup
That’s it! At that point the UGA Hazardous Waste facility has your request and will contact you or someone in your lab to set up an appointment for pickup. Typically pickups will occur within 2 weeks of request submission, unless you have indicated that your waste is at or exceeding allowable limits.
Need help? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (response within 1 hour during regular business hours) or call 706-542-5801