The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has strict and complex regulations governing the shipment of hazardous materials and dangerous goods through public contractors such as FedEx and UPS.
Only Environmental Safety Division personnel can ship Dangerous Goods and Hazardous Materials from The University of Georgia.
A person who knowingly violates the Federal hazardous material transportation laws can be fined, imprisoned or both.
Do you have a Dangerous Good or a Hazardous Material to ship?
If you have any doubt or any question about a potentially dangerous or hazardous item that you need to ship, stop and call us at 706-542-5801 for assistance. Do not assume your material is safe to send without first consulting Environmental Safety.
Below are some common examples of items that meet the classification of dangerous or hazardous. This is not an all inclusive list; contact us at (706) 542-5801 with any questions.
- Dry ice
- Lab chemicals
- Lab stock solutions
- Lab samples (such as those for analysis)
- Photographic chemicals and supplies
- Some office supplies
- Some electronic items
- Explosive materials
- Flammable liquids
- Combustible liquids
- Flammable and/or water-reactive solids
- Poisonous materials
- Infectious materials
- Radioactive materials
- Corrosive materials
- Marine pollutants
To have Dangerous Goods or Hazardous Materials shipped you must:
- Provide suitable inner and outer containers for the material being shipped. Do not seal the outer package. The containers must be free of any chemical contamination and tightly sealed to prevent leakage (no corks, cotton plugs, tape, parafilm, etc.). Environmental Safety personnel will inspect the contents prior to final shipment preparation. Contact us at (706) 542-5801 with any questions related to the selection of suitable shipping containers for your dangerous goods or hazardous materials
- Ensure all containers are accurately labeled with exact names as well as exact contents (including percentages of each chemical if it is a mixture)
- Provide the correct shipping address (typed)
- Provide the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for each item you are shipping
- Contact us at (706) 542-5801 at least one full week prior to your intended ship date
Traveling? Shipping Dangerous Goods or Hazardous Materials to UGA facilities requires special knowledge.
- UGA personnel who are traveling domestically or internationally and need to ship an item listed as a Dangerous Good or Hazardous Material back to a UGA location are required to take an approved online Department of Transportation (DOT) training course. Prior to traveling, call us at (706) 542-5801 for additional information and assistance.