1. Question: Who do I call for information about fire safety concerns?
Answer: Contact the Office of Fire Safety for any fire safety related questions. This includes fire extinguishers, fire alarm systems, concerns about exits being blocked, etc. The Office of Fire Safety can be reached at 706-542-5801.
2. Question: Where can I get a fire extinguisher for my work area?
Answer: For all fire extinguisher related issues, please contact:
Office of Fire Safety
240A Riverbend Rd.
Athens, GA. 30602
3. Question: Can I store things in the hall? (ex. Furniture, equipment, items to be picked up by Surplus)
Answer: Usually the answer is no. The Life Safety Code (NFPA 101:188.8.131.52 – 2000 Ed.) states: “Means of egress shall be continuously maintained free of all obstructions or impediments to full instant use in the case of fire or other emergency.” However, there are exceptions such as hotel and dormitory lobby areas that are designed to accommodate furniture and other accessories. If you have a question about use of the hallway in your building, please contact The Office of Fire Safety.
4. Question: I would like to conduct a fire drill in my building. How do I go about doing that?
Answer: The UGA Office of Fire Safety is always willing to assist you in conducting a fire drill (please see our Training Section on this webpage). Please contact: Russell D. Dukes at 706-542-5801 or E-Mail: email@example.com.You can also contact the Office of Security and Emergency Preparedness at (706) 542-5845, or your building safety representative for assistance.
5. Question: What are the laws governing fire safety in the State of Georgia?
Answer: There are several laws that govern fire safety related issues in the State of Georgia. The legal standards that most people deal with are O.C.G.A. Title 8, Title 25 and the State Minimum Fire Safety Standards 120-3-3. Please see the links below: